Monday, May 31, 2010

Dipping your childhood in sugar and the scent of babies



Does anyone remember Grease? I know it is a stupid question for almost anyone who doesn't live under a musical/movie rock, but for those butch men and women who wouldn't be caught dead fraternizing with suck stuff (If this is you, why the hell are you here anyway?). Grease is the original High School Musical, as is clearly pointed out in the trailer, except where HSM has ditsy teenagers, a cutesy plot line and the most controversial we got was a slightly angst song. Grease, while being a spiritual predecessor, was ready to flaunt social lines just that little bit more, there were teen pregnancies, high school drop outs and drag races. To be slightly knit picky I could point out that the 18 year old leads in Grease were actually 24 (Trovolta) and 30 (Newton-John), but there was no cotton candy gumdrops in sight, and that was what made it that little bit better for me, it was realistic and didn't cause me to feel as though there should have been a compulsory gender swap at the door.

This trailer is an absolute sell out, covering this movie with colorful text and rainbow imagery makes me want to douse my computer in gasoline. Why do we have to sell out on the past these days, if it isn't a reboot or a remake its a 're-imaging' they're finding some new way to ram something they found in the discount bin of a video store. If I want to have a sing-a-long I'll get a  Karaoke video, some alcohol and 3 other mentally deficient friends over to wail like dying seals, there would be no reason for me to want to congregate with more people than that to embarrass ourselves. Or maybe you would, I don't  know, I can't tell you how to think..

In short, I hate cotton candy things (HMS, The adventures of lord Sparklepants, a.k.a. Twilight and the Jonas brothers to name a few), and big companies will always sell out on things that once were great.

No comments:

Post a Comment