Sunday, October 31, 2010

What else is coming in November?

So thats whats going on in films, but how about the video games? Well...






Studio: Treyarch
Preceded by: Modern Warfare 2 (or World at War for the Purists)
Genre: First Person Action Shooter
Release Date: 9th of November 2010
What did I think it was about:
Well you see, rather than thinking this was something else, I just misread the title, you see I thought it was Black Opps. So I thought this was just a press release addressing the fact that while there was cultural diversity in the American team for Modern Warfare, they were now apologising for the fact that they were in no other team and that no other races were present.
What is it really about:
Call of Duty: Black Ops takes place during the Cold War. The player mainly controls two characters: Alex Mason and Jason Hudson who are Studies and Observations Group operatives on missions behind enemy lines, in locations such as the Ural Mountains, Laos, Cuba, and Vietnam.
Why will it be good:
Call of Duty as a series has never been much more than random encounters in different locations and a focus on multiplayer, but it does it so well what more could you ask for? Hell when we're bored my brother and I will even pull out MW2 and just shoot each other, no co-op, just shooting one another. Thats how well these games do this job This will get hours of play over X-box live and Playstation Network.

Why will it suck:
There is a problem with this idea though, the game hasn't been made by Infinity Ward... so whether these new jokers can transfer across the fun and excitment that was captured in the Modern Warfare games, or whether this will be another World at War, remains to be seen.The other thing that pisses me off about this is simple... It's set in the goddamn cold war again! I spoke on this in my Salt Review, the Cold war is fast becoming a tired and overused Trope that holds no true fright or scare for your target audience any more because they didn't have to live through it. Yes I'm sure for people who hid in their basements for days on end during the Cuban missile crisis would find this subject material tense and interesting, but for someone who was a glint in the eye when the Berlin wall was coming down, I don't find this the least bit compelling.
Anticipation:













Studio:Team Sonic
Preceded by: Every god damn shitty new Sonic game that diverts from the old formula
Genre: Fantasy adventure (sports?) game
Release Date: 18th of November 2010
What did I think it was about:
Sonic is transported back to the 1700s and must teach the people he meets about racial tolerance. The final scene has him running rings around a giant KK Klansman and eventually using the power of love to destroy it.(By the way I promise this is the last race joke for a while)
What is it really about:
After apparently developing a sense of remorse for his past indiscretions, Dr. Eggman supposedly turns a new leaf and builds an intergalactic amusement park up in space, made up of several planet sized attractions. However, the true purpose of this amusement park is to capture the alien inhabitants of these planets, known as Wisps, and harness their colored energy for his nefarious plans. A Wisp named Yacker informs Sonic who, accompanied by Tails, embarks on a journey to Dr. Eggman's amusement park to free the imprisoned Wisps inhabiting each planet and thwart Dr. Eggman's plans.
Why will it be good:
 Umm... aaahhh... It will have some of the old fashioned running aspects?
Why will it suck:
Okay this one is a lot easier. The sonic franchise as a whole has never particularly interested me, the originals games with their running jumpy fun was supposed to be a more ramped up and extreme version of the classic Mario run across screen bit, but it still felt like something that I would pick up and rush through once and then never replay. considering you could finish these games in an hour this wasn't a good thing. But I guess I can't hang my hat on that I mean the gameplay also includes these whisp powers that unlock new areas and wi... Hang on isn't this just an attempt to slow us down and detract from the boredom of running fast repetitively. While this is admirable they seem to have forgotten the reason anyone liked/played your series was because it was just fast running, so stopping and slowing  down will probably only aggravate people.
Anticipation:








Studio: Microsoft Studios
Preceded by: Dignity (But they gave that up to make this)
Genre: "Casual Gaming"
Release Date: 18th of November 2010
What did I think it was about:
Selling as many of these damn little motion sensors so that Microsoft might steal some of  Nintendo's market.
What is it really about:
Creating a new and innovative game experience through the use of a controller less system in order to .... sell as many of these damn little motion sensors so that Microsoft might steal some of  Nintendo's market (huh what do you know I got it right)
Why will it be good:
As much as I think moving into this area is selling out the games for gamers ideals that Microsoft started with, I have to admit that this concept does make me think we are getting closer to that dystopia future everyone is always making films about (finally). So basically I think it is the good thing that this is a valiant step towards the machine apocalypse.
Why will it suck:
Sellout Sellout SELLOUT!!!! Seriously I get that Microsoft and Sony lose thousands of dollars in console sales every year through the Nintendo wrist exerciser, but I would have thought the the dedicated fans who buy pretty much every game that comes out was better than having a lot of fickle fans who only buy from you every couple of months? The other reason this may suck, and I'm only saying this as a possibly rather than a definite, is that the device may not be as solid as thy say it is, I mean at the moment the Nintendo waggle stick is the best motion device and in all honesty it isn't nearly as responsive as it needs to be for any sort of serious gameplay.
Anticipation:













Studio: Ubisoft
Preceded by: Assassin's Creed 2
Genre: Stealth Action Adventure
Release Date: 18th of November 2010
What did I think it was about:
Purely a Multiplayer port for AC2
What is it really about:
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood will keep its sandbox style gameplay in an open world of Italy. Like the previous installments, the gameplay's core mechanics are based on parkour movements, crowd-blending stealth, assassinations and melee fighting system. However for the first time in the series, the game offers a multiplayer mode alongside 15 hours of singleplayer campaign
Why will it be good:
For those who don't know, I have University exams up until the 18th of November. On the 18th of November I plan to do 2 things following the end of my exam. 1. Go out and buy Force Unleashed 2. 2. Go out and by Brotherhood.  This game looks seriously kick ass. While Ubisoft maintain this is a separate entry to the Creed series rather than the third in the trilogy, and while it is the continuation of Ezio story there are also parts of Desmond for people, like me, who enjoy his story. As well as that this is the first AC game to feature a Multiplayer where you run around assassinating each other... Thats... Freaking... AWESOME! And finally it has all the usual running and jumping that is a staple of this superb series.
Why will it suck:
If I wake up and this is all a dream
Anticipation:




3 comments:

  1. Hi Again Just Dropped by,

    Great Blog!!!
    I Love Video Games and If You do Too then You Don't want to miss out on all The Hottest New Video Games at Great Prices!! BookMark This Link!!!
    Awesome Prices on All Video Games Here

    Awesome Deals on Everything Else Here

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is honestly the worst blog i've ever seen. you can't write worth a damn, and what the fuck is going on with those logos you've done for the individual games? what the fuck is even going on there?
    give up, close down blog. it's not like anyone even reads this or cares anyway. seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Steve,

    Thanks very much for your insightful comment. I agree that the logos are a bit much, I will keep that in mind for the next post I do for Decembers games.

    Once again thanks for the comment and I hope I can work to win you back, The Gentleman

    P.s. I would love to see your own blog by the way so I can better understand what you are looking for in a blog.

    ReplyDelete